Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Hello Hello

Hey all,
It's been a while, i know. When it has been this long i usually go back and read the last post to update whatever i left hanging as a teaser for you all. I am not going to do this this time. I think i will just go ahead and update what ever is going on right now. ok?
ok.

SO we started performances this week for Hijab Tube - the show with Mixed Blood Theater - the one where i play 5 different muslims, make that 4 different muslims and a lutheran feminist valley girl. We have had 2 performances so far in and around teh twin cities, one for a college and one for a higschool. The college was a good trun out a rather quiet audiance i would say but a good first show. Very different from our highschool performance. This was rather large highschool crowd in a very big auditorium theater space (they have a balcony!) . Did i mention the audiance was also lagely mulim immegrants? and may i add quite fundamentalistic.....nothing got out of hand or disrespectuful in anyway but our very liberal point of view being portrayed by our play was chalanged. I have one charachter that says outright " i am muslim, i don't wear the hijab, does that make me a fake muslim?" I had a mini heart attack when an overwhleming amount of the students called "YES!" and that was just the tip. Afterwards we had lots of questions and some students who wanted to find out more about the playwright and had a lot to say about whether what we portrayed was true islam or not. again it was very interesting, and the most important part is that it started questions and conversations, that was the most important part of the day. I do hope the conversations continue in the classrooms, i mean this is what theater is about right?
a good response to experaince second show in i think too.
Tomorrow a middle school performance and then our first real on the road performance is on friday so we are leaving tomrorow night to drive to a hotel so that we can start the morning at a decent time. instead if driving a good few hours early friday morning.
should be fun, its really is a good group of poeple, fun easy going. we get our own rooms at the super 8 motel in St. Cloud Minneapolis. woohoo!!

The Mother Teresa gig is also going well, we started blocking and getting stuff up on its feel this week which is awesome. also a rather contraversal play i think we will find, interesting all this religion challenging going on everwhere i look. And whats super exciting is its looking like i will get to have many poeple i know and love and havn't seen in a long time see this one. My last perforance is June 21st and as it looks now my parents and bros might come out, my grandparenats as well, and.....Guy! It will be the first time he will get to see me really perform. I hope it all works out so that all these poeple i love in my life will all get to see me do something i'm proud of.

I finished my camera class this week, i feel like it was a good refresher course. unfortunatly i was pretty stressed with all these shows and rehearsals going on so i don't know if i was really able to take advantage of it as much as i would have liked too but it was great to get infront of a camera again. The teacher was real great and i think she will be a nice contact to have if i need help with anything out here. she knows the area well as well as the bigger markets so it was nice to have met her.

I also finished my voice over coaching, so tomorrow i am recording my demos!! Very exciteing, i can't wait to here what they sound like when they are all done.

lots of things are finishing up, some things are continuing and something havn't even started yet, i have one audition i'm waiting to hear from, a few coming up this weekend and in the enxt couple of weeks. I look forward to finding a project for july and august.

On another note my other half and i will be reunited this coming weekend!!!!! The one and only Berko man for me will be here on Friday. I look forward to exploring yet another city with this kid, chatting and laughing, and getting to watch tv in bed off a laptop. These are the basics of our relationship and we love and cherish these moements. Can't wait! Unfortunatly it will be rainging all weekend so MN won't be showing its true colors off but maybe we can plant seeds to try and convince him that Minneapolis is better than New York, what do you think guys? (i want you to know you all are next....)

ok off to bed for a 6:00 am rude awakening.
love to you all out there
Yours,
me

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yes you did take liberties - while the "teeth in the mouth" is totally mine - I never said "it won't write itself". But I love you anyway and yes, your spelling leaves something to be desired but that's the point "misspelled tales..." Best of luck on Monday and with rehearsals - you may or may not be receiving a package soon...

Love, Mom