Monday, March 2, 2009

oh me oh my...

my dearest blog friends, i am so sorry to have neglected you, i hope you can find it in your hearts to forgive me and catch up on what i have been doing.

Let's see where to begin, how bout where i left you last. In a plane, just about to land in london, in the cold and heavy snow.

Ps. Heavy snow in london = nothing close to snow in minnesota

My weekend in Engand was super fun. I had a great time with Shai and Anja and little Alex who is growing so fast i can't keep up. Spending the time with my dad was also nice just before going off to my new adventures in MN.
We enjoyed dinners and coupling and watching Alex swim and home videos and just general time spent together. It was wonderful as always to see them and i will continue to miss them until the next little visit we can work out.

After england - New York. Gosh what a good trip it was. Seeing the freinds, taking care of buisness at the storage unit, it was like pep week to get me psyched to head off to MN. Seeing all my wonerful freinds was not only a jolt of support and confidance building but oh so much fun and inspiring. Watching all my freinds be out there working hard for what they love and surviving just made me feel again that feeling that this is what i went to school for, this is what i've dedicated myself to, and this is where i want to be. That i could never thank them all enough for.
-Shane and I put to the test our meetball recipee making skills as has come to be a tradition
-I got to crash what is one of my top classes taken at MMC (the added perk i didn't have to go anywhere near school to do it woot)
-palled around with my gals which is always great, girl time, laughs, actor therapy, heart to hearts, you name it, it was great
-got to see good ol' Berk always a pleasure
- spent some quality time with Anna and the dog, my favorite dog-owner couple
-got a hair cut by the fabulouse ninja curly hair styalist Jeffery from Malasia (so happy, so much better then the lame one i had when i left cali)
-got locked in my storage unit building, which was dandy, but 2 trips to queens later had everything i came to ny to get.
really a very productive wonderful trip to nyc, a first since i left the place

And now ladies and gentlemen what we have all been waiting for.........MINNESOTA!

So its cold. I was not built for this state. this is my first conclusion.

Being here has been really great so far. My research really helped me hit the ground running once i got here. I landed on a monday and that wednesday i had an audition. I met the artistic director of a theater here called Mixed Blood Theater to audition for an educational tour touring for a month in this general area and performing what i guess you might call a "muslim tollerance" play (there has got to be a more pc way to say that or at least some better phrasing). Anyway its a play about a muslim girl learning about islam in order to know how to counter steryotypes and racist remarks made against muslims via you tube land. It will go to colleges and highschools i believe. Its a pretty good deal and paid. I read the script while i was in NY and called to set up a meeting once i arrived. The audition went well. As far as i know i landed the gig. Rehearsals start early April and i am meeting the director this weekend. i'll keep you posted on the official word, i have my best people working on it.

In my first few days here i set up about 5 auditions today was numbers 2 and 3.
#2 was for the film students at University of Minnesota. These guys couldn't have asked for more from an actor. I handed them a headshot and resume, filled out a talent info sheet (contact info, availability, list of experiance), performed 2 contrasting monologues, did a cold read with a scene from the movie Rushmore (it was that or The Big Labowski), and performed a little improvisation (your in the woods and a bear is about to attack you). REALLY??!! I guess the good thing about all that was as i was leaving a girl came out to tell me that i was perfect for her project and she wanted to tell me about it and let me know that she wants me. the turth is that whether i do this project or not depends on my pending situation with Mixed Blood, the schedule might conflict, so we will have to wait and see about that one.
#3 was for a summer stock internship. The deal: Live in paid-for housing on Mount Desert Island in Maine for the summer june 28th - sept 6th, act in their children's program twice a week and play supporting roles to their 3 or 4 main stages for the summer, do some backstage tech crew work, and get paid $130 a week. Not bad. Actually seems really great. The audition was a little weird though. They had us ten or so applicants sit in a circle and read from the scripts for the season for 2 hours. We read from british farce to agitha christy to 3pigs/3bears/3billy goats gruff meets urban culture. It was really fun, got a ticket for being parked over time in the parking lot (everyone was nice enough ro infrom me about the free street parking after the audition was over) and learned that they are taking 2 females and not just one. Honestly i don't really know if its something i really want to do this summer but it does sound pretty cool and from the 2 hours i think i can honestly say that i was one of few who really had some real classical training (gold star for MMC). I don't think most of them really got british farce. Anyway I look forward to hearing from them this saturday.
tomorrow is number 4. number 5 i am not sure if i am going to go to it even, it might obviousley conflict with #1 so once that is for sure i will decide whether i will be going to #5 but its on the 15th so i have some time.
#4 this is what i know: a play, with roles not really my age range, but it seems they are willing to cast younger. So i'm going. That's about it.

So as you can see things are pretty busy and at the same time i still have kind of all day beucase most of these have been in the evenings. Once i have a schedule from something set i will work on the rest of my day.

I also went on a lovely ski trip with my uncle and cousins. It was a great bonding experaince with all three boys i think. My cousins and i spent a lot of time bonding over the snow and my uncle and i had some nice chat time in the car. It was great to hit the slopes it had been 2 years since i had been on a snow sport item. My body is brusied and soar and happy. There was also reconfirmation of my first conclusion about MN. I do have a cold to show for it.

well i guess everyone is all cought up.
I do hope this post finds everyone well and happy don't hesitate to drop me a line, let me know how you all are doing.

Yours,
me

2 comments:

Guy said...

You really have to be better on it.. It is hard for me to read all that in one time after all my studing.. :)

Alice said...

Thanks for posting! But I agree with Guy... write more frequently! Sounds like you're off to a great start--miss you crazy, lady!